Monday, July 12, 2004

Time waits for no one

The older I get, the more precious each day, each hour, each minute becomes. I guess it is the same for everyone. Some people figure this out sooner than others.

Paul B. Hollar, my sister's partner for the past 24 years, knew this from early on. No one in his family lived much beyond the age of 60. So Paul lived every day like it was his last day on earth. He embraced life. He worked hard and he played hard. He indulged his every whim. He cherished his family and friends.

Saturday, July 3, 2004 was Paul's last day on earth. He died doing something he loved.

Farewell my friend. Here's to a life well lived.

2 comments:

Alison said...

A lovely tribute and a gentle reminder. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan,
I did not know your sister but knew Paul well from the Tattersalls and Keeneland Horse sales as well as from the Lexington Fire Dept. I also worked very briefly for Paul at his ambulance service years ago.
I moved to GA about 7 years ago and only learned last night what happened to Paul. I was talking to a friend with the Lexington Fire Dept that I had not talked to in years and asked him about Paul. My heart broke when I heard.
Paul was one of those truly good people in my life. He was always a good friend and a great source of moral support for myself and I am sure many others. I had been wondering about him recently because he knew one of my life's dreams was to become a firefighter myself and I wanted to tell him I finally made it at the ripe old age of 46 (though I am a wildland firefighter and not structural). I hope you sister is doing well.