Monday, July 19, 2004

When is this going to stop?

I found out today that a good friend is planning his funeral, and wants me to be one of his casket bearers. And it appears his death is imminent. Jack has been living with Multiple Myeloma for at least three years now and his most recent skirmish with the disease, about a month ago, resulted in a ten day stay at the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center.

I exchanged emails with him right after he came home, and we had made tentative plans to get together for lunch. Another friend called him this past weekend with the intent of paying him a visit, but Jack asked him not to come, and then proceded to ask him to organize a group of friends to bear his casket at his funeral. He told him that his wife would call when the time came.

It sounds like Jack has given up the fight. I am so sad to hear this. I am so sad that we will not eat lunch together. I am so sad that we will never again talk about our shared hobby of amateur radio.

I am sad.

1 comment:

bothenook said...

damn allan, i think it's time for some good news. you've had more than enough bad news, and that's for damned sure. and you are right, just from what you've said, it looks like your friend has come to grips with his disease, and is ready to let it takes it's course. me, i'll be fighting right up to the time they toss the dirt in my face.